All times stated are provided in CET.
08:30 | Attendees to connect to the meeting (Webex details for this online meeting, supplied separately.)
09:00 | Welcome & introduction, Juliette Lambin, CNES, PB-EO chair
09.05 | Organisation and logistics, Maurice Borgeaud, ESA
09.10 | ESA contribution to international climate initiatives, Josef Aschbacher, ESA
2 CCI+ Implementation Status
09:30 | Programme Status, Susanne Mecklenburg, ESA
2.1 Quantifying ECVs (theme i & ii)
09:50 | Ocean - Sea state, Ocean colour, Sea surface temperature, Sea level, Sea surface salinity - Shubha Sathyendranath, PML
10:05 | Cryosphere - Sea ice, Ice sheets: Antarctica and Greenland, Glaciers, Snow, Permafrost - Thomas Nagler, ENVEO
10:20 | Land - Soil moisture, Land surface temperature, Land cover – HR/MR, Fire, Lakes, Biomass - Emilio Chuvieco, Alcala University
10:35 | Atmosphere - Ozone, Aerosol, GHG, Cloud, Water Vapour - Michel van Roozendael, BIRA
10:50 | Q&A for delegations’ feedback
11:10 | Coffee Break
2.2 Integrating ECVs into Climate Models and addressing scientific questions (theme iii)
11:30 | CMUG - Richard Jones, UK Met Office
11:40 | IMBIE - Andrew Shepherd, University of Leeds
11:50 | SLBC - Anny Cazenave, Legos
12:00 | RECCAP-2 - Philippe Ciais, LSCE
2.3 Knowledge Exchange
12.10 | Knowledge Exchange (theme iv) - Carsten Brockmann, Brockmann Consult
12:30 | Q&A for delegations’ feedback - All delegations
13:00 | Lunch break
3 Looking ahead
3.1 Way forward for CCI+ phase 2 and elements of a new ESA Climate Programme
14:00 | Way forward for CCI+ phase 2 and elements of a new ESA Climate Programme, Susanne Mecklenburg
3.2 Key challenges in climate research and monitoring and modelling for ESA
14:20 | 3.2 Key challenges in climate research and monitoring - Moderator: Stephen Briggs
Panel discussion introduced by 1-2 slides per speaker
- UNFCCC - Joanna Post
- GCOS - Han Dolman
- WCRP - Detlef Stammer
- Future Earth - Wendy Broadgate
- Climate Modelling community / CMIP - Veronika Eyring, DLR
- EC climate activities - Mark Dowell, JRC
- Copernicus services - Jean-Nöel Thepaut, ECMWF
- EUMETSAT - Jörg Schulz
15:40 | Q&A for delegations’ feedback - All delegations
16:20 | Summary from the panel discussion, Stephen Briggs
16:30 | Concluding remarks and way forward, Josef Aschbacher, ESA
16:45 | Closing remarks, Juliette Lambin, CNES PB-EO chair
4. CCI ECV Project posters
View posters from each of the CCI ECV projects here.
Review questions CCI+ phase 1
To assess the status of the CCI+ phase 1 programme implementation, the following questions should be addressed:
- Is CCI providing the relevant policy information to UNFCCC climate activities (e.g. through the research community contributing to IPCC)?
- Is CCI taking full advantage of ESA and European EO missions and multi-disciplinary scientific expertise to create high quality climate records?
- Is CCI addressing new science questions in an innovative way and taking a leading role in science development through building an active climate community?
- Is CCI actively fostering the link between climate observations and the climate modelling community?
- Is CCI adequately connected and responsive to the needs of the wider international climate research networks and communities, e.g. including GCOS, WCRP, CEOS, CGMS, SCO, GEO, Future Earth etc?
- Is CCI complementary to other relevant ECV development activities in Europe and supporting the transfer into operational climate services?
- Is CCI developing best practice for climate data record creation, including uncertainty estimation, cross-ECV consistency, data standards and validation?
- Is the Knowledge Exchange Strategy successfully raising awareness of the ground-breaking science being performed by CCI and enhancing activities in the domains of communication, education and outreach?